Meriwest Exemplifies the Motto of “People Helping People”
Together as one! Your neighbors, your friends, your community … as a local, community-based credit union, Meriwest knows first-hand that the closer you are to a community the better you’re able to understand their needs—We are truly People Helping People as exemplified by the impact that Meriwest Credit Union and our employees have had on the community. Below are some highlights of our efforts in 2020:
- 100% of Meriwest employees volunteered 1056 hours to help feed, clothe or increase literacy among community residents. 36% donated to multiple charitable events.
- Collectively fundraising efforts by Meriwest employees resulted in $23,363.00 to support various charities.
- With our partnerships, Meriwest contributed $63,500.00 towards Covid-19 relief efforts, primarily to ensure community residents received food. Meriwest donated $5000.00 to Second Harvest to provide 10,000 meals. In addition, we volunteered many hours at our non-profits to assist in meal preparation and delivery, helping feed over 3 million community residents.
- Meriwest joined in sponsoring the “free lunch programs” at Title 1 schools in Santa Clara County, providing pre-packed healthy meals to 1700 youth and their families.
- Through Meriwest employee donations of men’s clothing, toys and books to City Team Ministries, their men’s closet is full, and 25 kids in their shelter homes received Christmas toys. The Meriwest book drive was equally successful in supporting Title 1 school students in the East Bay who asked if we can provide books. We came through with a donation of 255 books.
- Meriwest sponsored grants of $1.13M with the Federal Home Loan Bank to Non Profits for housing/homelessness and first-time home buyers.
- The Meriwest Team participated in several holiday fundraising events. These included adopting several families to enjoy a holiday meal while providing the only Christmas gifts they would receive, participating in Shop-A-Cop Foundation to provide holiday gifts to 250 kids, and supporting 11 other non-profits in COVID-19 relief efforts.
- Meriwest also provided financial education to 6967 community residents, receiving accolades from City Team, Sacred Heart, Goodwill and Educators in our local school districts.
A gift of time, talent, or financial resources is a reminder of the work we do here at Meriwest and our dedication to our community — and therefore, a huge “Thank You” is in order to every one of our employees for supporting these efforts in our community during such a difficult year. It is truly a wonderful gift to give back when and where we can—and it demonstrates how Meriwest exemplifies the Credit Union motto of “People Helping People”.